Acne is a skin condition that causes whiteheads, blackheads, and inflamed red growths to form. These growths are commonly called pimples or “zits.”
Acne occurs when tiny holes on the surface of the skin, called pores, become clogged.
- Each pore is an opening to a follicle, which contains a hair and an oil gland. These oil glands help lubricate the skin and help remove old skin cells.
- When glands produce too much oil, the pores can become blocked. Dirt, debris, bacteria, and inflammatory cells build up. The blockage is called a plug or comedone.
- The top of the plug may be white (whitehead) or dark (blackhead).
- If the plug breaks open, the material inside causes swelling and red bumps to form.
- If the inflammation is deep in your skin, the pimples may enlarge to form firm, painful cysts.
Acne is a problem of swelling and inflammation, not a problem caused by bacteria.
Acne tends to run in families and can be triggered by:
- Hormonal changes related to menstrual periods, pregnancy, birth control pills, or stress
- Greasy or oily cosmetic and hair products
- Certain drugs (such as steroids, testosterone, estrogen, and phenytoin)
- High levels of humidity and sweating
Despite the popular belief that chocolate, nuts, and greasy foods cause acne, research does not confirm this idea. Diets high in refined sugars may be related to acne, though.
Most acne goes away on its own, however there are cases where it is a persistent issue in someones life. The following treatment has been shown to help those with not only random acne but also helpful for those who have a chronic acne skin condition. I highly recommend trying a natural treatment option before attempting a Rx medication to avoid any side effects.
doTERRA Treatment For Acne:
Drink 2-4 drops of Lemon Oil, Grapefruit Oil or Lime Oil in 8oz of water, 2-4 times a day.
Rub Clean Skin Oil Blend, Lemon Oil or Purify Oil Blend on area of concern, after washing your face, once daily